During the colonial period, Arsenals became a key element for the
development and structuring of brazilian army. With the main purpose
of producing the most varied ordinances, they became the precursors of
the defense industry in Brazil, yielding so many contributions and
Arsenal De Guerra Do Rio (AGR)
Arsenal de Guerra do Rio (AGR) dates back to 1762, when it was created
by the Governor of Rio de Janeiro Captaincy, Gomes Freire de Andrade -
Count of Bobadela - with the name of “Casa do Trem”, in Rio de
“Casa do Trem” had the main attribution to act as fortification and
guard of the Captaincy, in addition to serving as a place for
packaging, maintenance and production of ordinances. Succeeding
Bobadela, Luiz Álvares da Cunha - Count of Cunha - expanded the
original installation in 1764, adding new constructions.
In 1832, the Arsenal was renamed to "Arsenal de Guerra da Corte",
having greater autonomy and production capacity. In 1889, with the
Proclamation of the Republic, it received the name of "Arsenal de
Guerra da Capital".
In the context of the urban growth of Rio de Janeiro, it was moved to
the port area in 1902 and renamed to Arsenal de Guerra do Rio de
Throughout its history, Arsenal supported the Brazilian Army’s power
combat, acting in Brazil Regency Period Revolts, in Triple Alliance
War, Canudos War, Armada Revolt, Contestado War, as well as World War
II. Currently, AGR performs manufacturing, maintenance and research
activities, constituting a military organization of fundamental
importance for the maintenance of the Army's military production
capacity, in addition to acting in support of civil defense actions.
Arsenal De Guerra General Câmara (AGGC)
In 1774, “Real Armazéns” formed the defense line of Brazil's South
Region and were the initial nucleus of the future Arsenal de Guerra do
Rio Grande do Sul. Its mission was storing provisions to the troops,
as well as repairing several types of ordinances.
The services of Arsenal de Guerra do Rio do Grande Sul, still in the
19th century, were highlighted in the words of Duque de
Caxias at the end of the Triple Alliance War. The patron of the Army
recorded that: "Arsenal de Guerra do Rio Grande do Sul, for the
assistance it provided to our Armed Forces, was one of the victory
During the 20th Century, especially in August
19th, 1940, this Arsenal was renamed to Arsenal de Guerra
de General Câmara (AGGC), keeping its mission, especially on the
occasion of the World War II.
Nowadays, AGGC Arsenal continues to invest in the training of its
military and in the constant improvement of its activities.
Arsenal De Guerra De São Paulo (AGSP)
Inaugurated on December 2nd 1958, Arsenal de Guerra de São
Paulo (AGSP) is the newest manufacturing facility of the Brazilian
Army. Created under President Juscelino Kubitschek's government
(1902-1976), this Arsenal was part of the national industrial effort
to develop the industry in Brazil.
The history of AGSP goes through, especially, the history of the
Regional Park of Motomechanization and the Regional Park of Armament.
Two military units that, due to a major restructuring of the Brazilian
Army in 1982, created the Regional Maintenance Park. Both units were
then incorporated by Arsenal de Guerra de São Paulo.
In the late 1990's, as a result of the Phoenix Project, whose
objective was to revitalize Army vehicles, the AGSP underwent profound
changes. At that time, pavilions were improved, machinery and
equipment were acquired and, above all, a new organization and work
methodology was implemented.
Currently, AGSP continues to live up to the institutional mission
conferred on it: “Developing industrial capabilities to support
Brazilian Army's mission through the production, maintenance and
innovation of systems and defense products, adding value to the